One of the things I do during the last few weeks before my due date is make these super easy DIY postpartum padsicles (frozen pads). I tried them in the hospital first and after the nurse brought me my first one, I was IN. LOVE. Every woman’s postpartum period is such a special time. Bonding with your new baby is at the top of your priority list. However, tenderness and inflammation from the delivery can be a pain (literally). These super easy DIY postpartum padsicles feel amazing when you are tender, help you have less pain, and help you heal faster!
*This post contains affiliate links at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure for more info. Thanks, mama!
What You’ll Need
- Overnight Pads- I like these ones with leak protection for postpartum.
- Large Freezer Bags– To protect and store them safely in the freezer.
- Green Tea Bags– Green tea has anti-inflammatory properties to aid in healing.
- 1 Cup Witch Hazel– Witch Hazel is anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, and helps cool and relieve pain.
- Lavender Essential Oil– Lavender assists in wound healing and pain reduction. It also smells heavenly!
- Aloe Vera Gel– Aloe is regenerative with anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
DIY Postpartum Padsicles: How-To
- Boil 5 cups of water and then add 10 green tea bags
- Steep for 1 hour (I add 10 bags to make the tea stronger) and let cool
- Mix tea with 1 cup of witch hazel
- Open up pads but do not remove backing
- Pour approximately 1/4-1/3C of tea mixture on the length of the pad
- Add 3-4 drops of lavender per pad
- Spread the aloe gel evenly over the pad, concentrating on where your sore perineum will be
- Fold pad back up and place in a gallon freezer bag to store
- Repeat with other pads
Another great thing about these DIY postpartum padsicles is the freezing attribute is one of the most beneficial. The cold helps with swelling and pain so if you are making these last-minute, you really can customize them from what you already have at home.
Your future self will thank you for making these up ahead of time. Congrats on your upcoming little angel, motherhood is just the best.
TIP: Let pad thaw for about 5 minutes prior to use.
Also, Check Out: